Charter of Huazhong Agricultural University
Huazhong Agricultural University（HZAU）, formerly known as Hubei Agricultural School, was founded in 1898 and later built into Huazhong Agricultural College in 1952. In 1985, the University got its present name. It was listed as a key university under the direct supervision of the Ministry of Agriculture in 1979 and of the Ministry of Education in 2000. It became a national 211 Project key university in 2005.
Carrying forward a profound, century-old culture, the University adheres to the HZAU motto “learn and practice, achieve and help achieve” and upholds the tradition of educating students to “combine intelligence with hard work, integrate knowledge with practice”. The University follows the philosophy of “nurturing talent and prioritizing scholarship”, sticks to the character of “solidarity, thrift, honesty, and industry”, and holds fast to the HZAU principle of “acting in an unassuming manner, having presence of mind, and averting blind acceptance”. The University carries on its commitment to “combination and development of bioscience and biotechnology and agricultural science , and innovative talent cultivation”.
The mission of the University is to take responsibility for national prosperity, rejuvenation, and human progress by devoting itself to talent cultivation, the exploration of truth, and cultural development. The University undertakes to serve the economic and social development of the country as well as its agriculture, rural areas, and farmers. Its vision is to build a world-famous, research-intensive university with world-class dominant disciplines and distinctive characteristics.
第一章 总 则
Chapter I General Principles
- Article 1 This charter is formulated on the basis of related laws and regulations stipulated in the Education Law of the People’s Republic of China, the Higher Education Law of the People’s Republic of China, and the Teachers’ Law of the People’s Republic of China, with the University conditions combined, in order to guarantee university’s autonomy in operation in accordance with the laws and to establish and improve a modern university system.
- 第二条 学校中文名称为：华中农业大学，简称华中农大或华农，英文名称为：Huazhong Agricultural University，英文缩写HZAU。
- Article 2 The Chinese name of the University is “华中农业大学”，which is “Huazhong Agricultural University” in English. It is abbreviated as “华中农大”, or “华农”, in Chinese, and “HZAU” in English.
The legally registered address of the University is No.1, Shizishan Street, Hongshan District, Wuhan, Hubei Province.
The website of the University is http://www.hzau.edu.cn.
- 第三条 学校是国家举办的全日制普通高等学校，为非营利性事业单位法人，是由国务院确定的主要为全国培养人才的高等学校，由国务院教育行政部门主管，并由国务院教育行政部门与国务院农业行政主管部门共建。
- Article 3 The University is a full-time, non-profit, state-run, general higher education institution and a legal entity. It is designated by the State Council to cultivate talents for the entire country, managed by the Ministry of Education, and is co-developed by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Agriculture of the State Council.
- 第四条 学校举办者、主管部门按照政校分开、管办分离的原则，依法对学校进行宏观指导和监督，按照国家规定任免学校负责人，为学校提供稳定的办学经费和基本保障条件，保护学校的合法权益，支持学校依照国家法律法规和学校章程自主办学。
- Article 4 The state-sponsor and the competent departments carry out macro-guidance and supervision of the University in accordance with the laws and based on the principles of separating government from university and governance from operation. They shall appoint and dismiss university leaders according to the regulations of the country and provides stable funds and fundamental assurance for the university operation while safeguarding its legitimate rights and interests and supporting its autonomy in operation according to national laws and regulations as well as this charter.
The University shall report to the Ministry of Education of the State Council for approval on major issues such as division, merging, termination or alteration of the University’s name.
- 第五条 学校坚持社会主义办学方向，贯彻落实党和国家的教育方针，以人才培养为根本，开展教育教学、科学研究、社会服务，推进文化传承创新。
- Article 5 Adhering to a socialist principle for its operation and implementing the educational policies of the Communist Party of China and the country, the University fulfills its fundamental role of cultivating talent, focusing on teaching, academic research, and social services as well as encouraging innovation in cultural inheritance.
- 第六条 学校以农科为优势、生命科学为特色，涵盖自然科学、工程技术、社会科学、人文艺术等领域，多学科协调发展。
- Article 6 The University takes agricultural science as its advantageous discipline and life science as its feature, while achieving a coordinated development of multiple disciplines by integrating other categories of disciplines including natural sciences, engineering and technology, social sciences, and arts and humanities.
- 第七条 学校基本教育形式为全日制高等学历教育，办学层次以本科教育、研究生教育为主，适当开展非全日制高等学历教育和非学历高等教育。学校积极开展留学生教育和多种形式的中外合作办学。
- Article 7 The University implements full-time degree-oriented education prioritizing graduate and postgraduate education. The University also offers part-time degree-oriented education as well as some non-degree programmes. It provides education for international students and has various joint Sino-foreign programmes.
The University highly values morality and talent cultivation, committed to producing high-quality and society-leading students with a solid academic foundation, great capacity in practice and innovation, sound sense of responsibility, and a global vision as well as with well-developed morals, intelligence, physique, and aesthetics. Graduate education adheres to the combination of general education and specialty education, whereas postgraduate education focuses on high-level specialized education.
- Article 8The University issues educational certificates and diplomas in accordance with the laws. It awards bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees and certificates. The University, after approval, also awards honorary titles to distinguished elites who have made prominent contributions to social development and human civilization and confers honorary doctoral degrees to outstanding scholars or well-known social activists.
- 第九条 学校坚持“局部创优势，整体上水平”的办学方针，大力实施质量立校、特色立校、人才强校、科技强校和国际化战略，努力创建优势特色学科一流、高端领军人才一流、人才培养质量一流、自主创新能力一流、校园环境一流。
- Article 9 The University adheres to the operational policy of “creating distinction in its disciplines and enhancing the University’s overall strengths”, sparing no effort in building the University on its high qualities and unique features, upgrading the University via talent, science and technology, and international exchange and cooperation, as well as striving to establish first-class disciplines, field-leading faculty, world-class talent cultivation, high innovative capacity, and a beautiful campus.
- 第十条 学校建立依法办学、自主管理、民主监督、社会参与的现代大学制度，形成自由、平等、公正、法治的育人环境，健全具有中国特色、华农风格的现代大学治理体系，推进治理能力现代化。
- Article 10 The University establishes a modern system of legal operation, autonomous management, democratic supervision, and social participation with a view towards forming a free, equal, fair, and legal environment for talent cultivation as well as improving the University governance by integrating Chinese characteristics and HZAU’s unique features into the process of governance modernization.
- 第十一条 学校实行中国共产党华中农业大学委员会（以下简称学校党委）领导下的校长负责制。
- Article 11 The University carries out a system of presidential accountability under the leadership of Huazhong Agricultural University Committee of Communist Party of China (hereinafter referred to as the University Party Committee).
- 第十二条 学校具有独立法人资格，依法享有民事权利，承担民事责任。校长是学校的法定代表人。
- Article 12The University is an independent legal entity. It shall enjoy civil rights and undertake civil responsibilities according to the laws. The President of the University is its legal representative.
In accordance with social development, operational conditions, the state-approved operation scale and related policies, the University is legally entitled to the following autonomy in operation:
- (1) Compiling and implementing plans and safeguarding their authority and integrity;
- (2) Setting and adjusting disciplines and specialties, stipulating student recruitment plans and degree-conferring measures, determining and regulating operational levels, structures and study terms;
- (3) Formulating and carrying out talent-cultivation plans and procedures, conducting educational and teaching reforms, improving educational and teaching conditions, and establishing and perfecting the quality assurance system for learning and teaching;
- (4) Conducting scientific research, sticking to co-emphasis on basic and applied research, encouraging knowledge updating, technological innovation, transformative achievement, and advancing industry-university-research cooperation and innovation;
- (5) Carrying out technological development, social service, and innovative activities of cultural inheritance, providing intellectual, technological, and academic support for social development, and exercising its role in cultural education;
- (6) Carrying out international exchange and cooperation as well as enhancing the university’s reputation worldwide;
- (7) Determining the institutional framework as well as staffing of the University, recruiting and managing staff, evaluating posts and titles and employing staff accordingly, formulating remuneration and allowance plans;
- (8) Managing and utilizing assets offered by the state, national fiscal funds, donated assets, and other assets legally owned by the University;
- (9) Other legally obtained rights in operation autonomy.
第二章 学 生
Chapter II Students
- 第十三条 学生是指被学校依法录取、获得入学资格、具有学籍的受教育者。学生是学校教育教学活动的主体。
- Article 13“Students”, refers to those who have been admitted, have attained enrollment qualifications, and have maintained enrollment by the University in accordance with the laws. Students are the main body in educational and teaching activities of the University.
- 第十四条 学生享有下列权利：
- Article 14 Students shall enjoy the following rights:
- (1) Participating in educational and teaching activities, using educational and teaching resources, obtaining chances of re-selecting specialty and conducting exchanges home and abroad according to regulations on a fair basis;
- (2) Receiving fair evaluation in terms of ethics, academic performance, and comprehensive quality as well as being awarded the corresponding academic certificates and degree certificates after fulfilling the academic requirements;
- (3) Applying for scholarships, grants and student loans, and obtaining various types of honorary titles and prizes at all levels on a fair basis;
- (4) Participating in social services and part-time jobs, engaging in original, innovative, and entrepreneurial activities, organizing or joining in student groups along with participating in technological, cultural, art and sports activities on campus, and obtaining guidance and assistance in regards to job hunting or business start-up offered by the University;
- (5) Enjoying the rights to be informed of, to participate in, to present opinions and suggestions on, and to supervise over the university’s affairs;
- (6) Expressing objections and lodging appeals on decisions of disciplinary actions and those related to student interests, lodging appeals or filing lawsuits in accordance with the laws against university or teachers’ infringement of students’ legal rights and interests such as human rights and property rights;
- (7) Other rights stipulated in the laws, regulations, and rules.
- 第十五条 学生应当履行下列义务：
- Article 15 Students shall fulfill the following obligations：
- (1) Abiding by the Constitution, laws, and regulations;
- (2) Complying with the University rules and regulations;
- (3) Complying with the student codes of conduct, respecting teachers, keeping harmony with schoolmates, and defending the University’s reputation;
- (4) Studying diligently, thinking reasonably, practising vigorously, and striving to complete all school work;
- (5) Paying tuition and related expenses in accordance with regulations and fulfilling the corresponding obligations to obtain loans and grants;
- (6) Protecting and using appropriately the educational and teaching equipment and living facilities of the University;
- (7) Other obligations stipulated in the laws, rules, and university regulations.
- 第十六条 学校建立学生成长成才的服务支持机制。坚持全员育人、全程育人、全方位育人，全面关爱尊重学生，充分保障学生行使合法权利，促进学生履行义务，培养学生爱国、敬业、诚信、友善的品行。
- Article 16 The University establishes a service and support mechanism for student development. It keeps cultivating talents via the efforts of all its members, shows overall care and respect for students, fully guarantees students’ exercise of legitimate rights, encourages students to fulfill their obligations, and develops students’ qualities of patriotism, professionalism, honesty, and kindness.
- 第十七条 学校建立学生奖惩制度。鼓励全面发展与个性发展相结合，设立奖学金对优秀学生予以奖励，对取得突出成绩和为国家、学校赢得荣誉的学生集体或个人进行表彰奖励；对违纪学生予以相应的处理或处分。
- Article 17 The University establishes a system of student rewards and punishments. It encourages the combination of comprehensive development and individual growth, sets up scholarships to reward excellent students, and grants commendations and awards to student groups or individuals who have achieved outstanding results and won honors for the country and the University. It also gives the corresponding treatment or punishment to discipline-violating students.
- 第十八条 学校建立学生资助体系。对家庭经济困难的学生提供帮助，保障学生不因经济困难而辍学。
- Article 18 The University sets up a financial supporting system for students, helping those with financial problems and guaranteeing that students will not drop out due to financial difficulties.
- 第十九条 学校建立学生权益保障机制。学校设立学生申诉处理机构和法律援助机构，依法保护学生正当的申辩和申诉权利，维护学生合法权益。
- Article 19 The University establishes a security mechanism for students’ rights and interests. The University sets up a student complaint committee and a legal aid institution, protecting students’ right of justified defenses and complaints in accordance with the laws and safeguarding their legitimate rights and interests.
- 第二十条 学校提倡并支持学生基于共同兴趣爱好、成长成才需要组织学生社团，依照有关规章开展活动。
- Article 20 The University advocates and supports students to form student groups based on common interests and needs for growth and development. Student groups shall carry out activities in accordance with the relevant regulations.
- 第二十一条 不具有学校学籍，在校接受培训、在职学习等其他受教育者，依法、依规、依约享有相应权利，履行相应义务。
- Article 21 Other students who are not enrolled at the University, including trainees and part-time students, shall also enjoy the corresponding rights and fulfill the corresponding obligations according to the laws, regulations, and contracts during their stay at the University.
Chapter III Faculty and Staff
- 第二十二条 学校教职工包括教师、其他专业技术人员、管理人员和工勤人员等。教师是学校办学活动的主体。
- Article 22 Faculty and staff of the University consist of teachers, other professional and technical personnel, management staff, and workers and logistics staff. Teachers are the main body in university operation.
- 第二十三条 教职工享有下列权利：
- Article 23 Faculty and staff shall enjoy the following rights:
- (1) Employing public resources of the University in accordance with the laws and regulations;
- (2) Getting necessary access to job opportunities and conditions for self-improvement on a fair basis;
- (3) Receiving fair evaluation on ethics, competence and achievement, and obtaining various types of awards and honorary titles on a fair basis;
- (4) Obtaining wages, remuneration and other welfare benefits on a fair basis in accordance with the laws, regulations, rules, and university regulations and contracts;
- (5) Enjoying the rights to be informed of, participate in, present opinions and suggestions on, and supervise over the University affairs;
- (6) Expressing objections and lodging appeals on matters of promotion, post, welfare benefits, performance evaluation and disciplinary actions; lodging appeals or filing lawsuits in accordance with the laws against infringement of their legal rights and interests;
- (7) Other rights stipulated in the laws, regulations, rules, and contracts.
- 第二十四条 教职工应当履行下列义务：
- Article 24 Faculty and staff shall fulfill the following obligations:
- (1) Observing the Constitution, laws and regulations, and being a model of virtue for others;
- (2) Implementing the state’s educational policies, devoting themselves to educational causes, abiding by rules and regulations of the University, and working with diligence;
- (3) Respecting academic freedom and complying with professional ethics and academic norms;
- (4) Respecting and caring for students;
- (5) Stopping behaviors that do harm to students or other behaviors that infringe students’ legitimate rights and interests, and criticizing and resisting activities that may hinder students from having a healthy and sound development;
- (6) Consciously defending the reputation, rights, and interests of the University as well as protecting its resources according to the laws;
- (7) Other obligations stipulated in the laws, rules, regulations, and contracts.
- 第二十五条 教师依法依规开展教学科研活动，享有学术自由；教师应教书育人，指导学生全面成长和成才，应坚持真理，坚守学术诚信，引导学生形成科学、严谨、诚信、自律的治学态度和学术品格。
- Article 25 Teachers carry out teaching activities and research and enjoy academic freedom according to the laws and regulations. Teachers shall teach and educate, guide students to develop in an all-around way, stick to truths, adhere to academic honesty, and lead students to form scientific, conscientious, honest, and self-disciplined study attitudes and academic qualities.
- 第二十六条 学校实行教职工公开招聘、竞争上岗、合同聘用和岗位管理等制度，依照聘用合同考核教职工，考核结果作为调整岗位、工资以及续订聘用合同的依据。学校建立正常晋级增薪制度，依法依规保障教职工待遇。
- Article 26 The University implements systems of open recruitment for faculty and staff, job engagement through competition, contract engagement, and post management. The University assesses faculty and staff according to contracts and uses assessment results as the basis for adjusting posts and salaries and renewing contracts. The University establishes a system for normal raise and promotion and guarantees the welfare of faculty and staff in accordance with the laws and regulations.
- Article 27 The University establishes a system of faculty and staff rewards and punishments. It grants commendation and awards to faculty and staff who have made outstanding contributions and gives corresponding treatment or punishment to discipline-violating faculty and staff.
- 第二十八条 学校建立教职工职业发展制度和教师学术休假制度，鼓励和支持教职工提升业务能力。学校尊重和爱护人才，关心教职工身心健康，为教职工开展工作提供必要的条件和保障。
- Article 28 The University establishes a career development system for faculty and staff as well as a sabbatical leave system for teachers, encouraging and supporting faculty and staff to enhance their working capacity. It respects and cherishes talent, cares about the physical and mental health of faculty and staff, and provides necessary conditions and guarantees for them to carry out their work.
- Article 29 The University establishes a mechanism ensuring faculty and staff’s rights and interests. The University sets up a faculty and staff complaint committee and a legal aid institution to protect faculty and staff’s right to justified defenses and complaints in accordance with the laws to safeguard their legitimate rights and interests.
- 第三十条 学校依法保障离退休人员的政治、生活待遇，为离退休人员关心和支持学校事业发展创造必要条件。
- Article 30 The University guarantees the welfare of the emeritus and retired in accordance with the laws and also provides the necessary conditions for them to care and support the development of the University.
- 第三十一条 博士后研究人员、访问学者、进修教师以及其他教育、研究、管理、服务工作者，在学校工作期间，依法、依规、依约享有相应权利，履行相应义务。
- Article 31 Postdoctoral researchers, visiting scholars, in-training teachers and other educational, research, management and service staff shall enjoy the corresponding rights and fulfill corresponding obligations according to the laws, regulations, and contracts during their work at the University.
Chapter IV Governance Structure
Section I Party and Administration Management System
- 第三十二条 学校党委是学校的领导核心，统一领导学校工作，支持校长依法独立负责地行使职权。
- Article 32 The University Party Committee of the Communist Party of China is the leading group of the University. It practices collective leadership over the University’s affairs and supports the independent exercise of the President’s responsibilities according to the laws.
- The University Party Committee is elected by Huazhong Agricultural University’s Party Congress in accordance with the Constitution of the Communist Party of China and other relevant regulations. It is responsible for and reports its work to the University Party Congress and serves a term of five years. The Standing Committee of the University Party Committee, which is elected by the University Party Committee plenary meeting and whose leadership is composed of one secretary and several deputy secretaries, is responsible for and reports its work to the University Party Committee. The main responsibilities of the University Party Committee are:
- (1) Implementing the party’s guidelines, principles and policies, adhering to the socialist philosophy, managing the University according to the laws, and promoting the scientific development of the University by relying on faculty, staff, and students;
- (2) Discussing major issues and basic management systems concerning university reform, development, and stability as well as teaching, research and administrative management, and making decisions thereof;
- (3) Taking charge of the selection, education, training, assessment, and supervision of cadres, discussing and deciding the institutional framework of the University and candidates for leadership, recommending candidates for university-level leadership and reserve cadres according to related procedures and taking care of the work related to senior cadres;
- (4) Discussing and deciding on plans and policies concerning personnel issues and arranging and advancing the development of various qualified personnel;
- (5) Leading the University’s ideological, political, and moral education, firmly holding the leadership, management, and discourse power over the ideological work of the University, and safeguarding the security and stability of the University;
- (6) Leading the University’s cultural construction, and developing a sound university spirit, study atmosphere, and teaching style;
- (7) Leading grassroots party branches and developing the University Party Committee itself;
- (8) Leading the discipline inspection of the University Party and fulfilling the leading responsibility of building a clean University Party and an honest administrative body;
- (9) Leading the University Trade Union, the Communist Youth League Committee, the Students Union, the Postgraduate Union and other mass organisations, and the Faculty Delegate Congress as well as handling the united front work;
- (10) Discussing and deciding on other major issues related to the faculty, staff, and students’ vital interests.
- The University Party Committee practices the combined system of both collective leadership and individual responsibility and adheres to democratic centralism. Major issues and critical matters are decided by group discussion of the committee. The members of the university-level leadership should carry out duties in accordance with the division of work. The University Party Committee leads the University’s work when the Party Congress Meeting is not in session. The Standing Committee presides over the regular duties of the Party Committee. The secretary of the Party Committee presides over the comprehensive work of the Party Committee.
- The University Party Committee plenary meeting is held by the Standing Committee who decides the agendas. The Standing Committee meeting is held and presided over by the secretary of the Party Committee, and the meeting theme is proposed by the university-level leadership of the University and determined by the secretary of the Party Committee. Meeting agendas and discussion rules are otherwise stipulated.
- 第三十三条 校长是学校行政主要负责人，在学校党委领导下，全面负责学校教学、科研、行政管理工作。
- Article 33 The President, responsible for university administration, takes charge of the University’s overall teaching, research, and administrative management under the leadership of the University Party Committee.
- The University has one president, several vice presidents and several president assistants, each serving a term of five years. The President and vice presidents are appointed and dismissed by the Ministry of Education in accordance with relevant regulations of the country, and president assistants are employed and dismissed by the University. Vice presidents and president assistants facilitate the exercise of functions and powers of the President. The President’s main responsibilities are as follows:
- (1) Formulating and implementing development plans, rules and regulations, major reform measures, plans of allocating important resources, and the annual work plan;
- (2) Formulating and implementing university projects for the establishment of internal institutions, recommending candidates for vice presidency according to the laws and regulations, and appointing and dismissing leading officials of internal administrative departments of the University;
- (3) Formulating and implementing university human resources development plans, taking charge of the faculty and staff development, and employing and dismissing faculty and staff according to the laws and regulations;
- (4) Formulating and implementing the major capital construction plans of the University and the annual appropriation budget, carrying out financial management and auditing supervision, and managing and protecting university assets;
- (5) Organizing and implementing teaching activities and research and striving to make the University first-class with distinctive characteristics;
- (6) Organizing and carrying out ideological and moral education, managing student registration, implementing student rewards or penalties, and managing student recruitment and employment;
- (7) Dealing well with the issues concerning university security, stability, and logistical support;
- (8) Organizing and conducting international exchange and cooperation, signing cooperation agreements on behalf of the University in accordance with the laws, and accepting social donations;
- (9) Reporting to the University Party Committee on the implementation of major resolutions, reporting to the Faculty Delegate Congress, organizing and dealing with proposals related to administrative affairs, and supporting party organisations at all levels to carry out their work, as well as grassroots democratic parties, mass organisations, and academic groups;
- (10) Fulfilling other responsibilities stipulated in the laws, regulations, and this charter.
- The President’s Administrative Meeting is the decision-making body for administrative affairs of the University. It proposes plans on important matters to be discussed and decided by the University Party Committee, deploys and implements related measures of the University Party Committee resolutions, and handles teaching, research, and administrative management affairs.
- The President’s Administrative Meeting is held and presided over by the President. Vice presidents and president assistants participate in the meeting. The head of the University Party Committee participates the meeting depending on its agendas. Personnel related to the meeting contents can attend the meeting. The meeting theme is proposed by the university-level leadership of the University and determined by the President who shall make decisions on discussed matters based on the wide-ranging opinions from the participants. Meeting systems and discussion rules are otherwise stipulated.
- 第三十四条 学校党的纪律检查委员会（简称学校纪委）是学校的党内监督机构，由学校党员代表大会选举产生，每届任期5年。学校纪委在学校党委和上级纪检组织领导下，依据党的章程和法律法规履行职责，协助学校党委开展党风廉政建设和组织协调反腐败工作，保障学校事业健康发展。
- Article 34 The Discipline Inspection Commission of the University Party Committee is an inner-party supervision institution and is elected by the University Party Congress for a term of five years. Under the leadership of the University Party Committee and higher-discipline inspection commission, it assists the University Party Committee in building a clean and honest university and in fighting against corruption in order to safeguard and promote the healthy development of all undertakings of the University in accordance with the Constitution of the Communist Party of China and the laws and regulations.
The University Inspection Department is the administrative supervision institution exercising its power in accordance with the laws, regulations, and this charter.
- 第三十五条 学校根据精简、效能原则，自主设置和调整内部党政职能部门。校党政职能部门实行部门首长负责制，根据学校授权履行管理和服务职能。
- Article 35 The University shall establish, adjust, and streamline its party and administrative departments under the guideline of efficiency. The party and administrative departments shall follow the department chief executive responsibility system and perform their functions in management and service as authorized by the University.
The University shall establish leading groups and specialized committees to coordinate relevant matters.
Section 2 Academic Management Systems
- 第三十六条 学校坚持教授治学，尊重学术自由，维护学术独立，完善学术管理体制、制度和规范，营造民主平等、开放包容的学术环境。
- Article 36 The University adheres to professors’ academic management, respects academic freedom and guarantees academic independence. It endeavors to improve the mechanism of academic management and create a democratic, equal, open, and inclusive academic atmosphere.
- 第三十七条 学校设立学术委员会。学术委员会是学校最高学术机构，依法统筹行使学术事务的决策、审议、评定和咨询等职权。学校尊重并保障学术委员会独立行使职权。
- Article 37 The University establishes the Academic Commission as the highest academic institution in charge of decision-making, reviewing, examining, and consulting in academic activities in accordance with the laws. The University shall respect and guarantee the independent administration of the Academic Commission.
- The University Academic Commission implements its work with its own charter and its annual report shall be reviewed by the Faculty Delegate Congress. The main functions are as follows:
- (1) Examining the University’s plans on disciplines, specialties, faculty introduction and development, and major academic plans on research and academic exchange and cooperation;
- (2) Examining the establishment and adjustment of disciplines and specialties and the setup of academic institutions;
- (3) Examining and approving the evaluation criteria and assessment measures for faculty employment, teaching and research achievements, talent cultivation, and other academic criteria.
- (4) Formulating academic norms, investigating and adjudicating disputes, and offering penalty suggestions for academic misconduct;
- (5) Examining the nominees and working rules for the University’s specialized and grassroots committees, guiding the committees in their work, and offering decision-making consultation and suggestions for important matters proposed by the committees;
- (6) Examining and approving the awards of teaching and research achievements, the nomination of high-level personnel, important academic institutions as well as the academic importance of funded projects of all levels;
- (7) Offering consultations and suggestions on overall academic development, major plans, and development strategies;
- (8) Reviewing, assessing and offering suggestions for other relevant issues.
- 第三十八条 学校学术委员会由学校不同学科、专业的教授及其他具有正高级专业技术职务的人员组成，每届任期4年。其中，不担任学校、职能部门党政领导职务及学院主要负责人的专任教师，中青年教师，均须有一定的比例。
- Article 38 The Academic Commission is composed of professors and other senior-professionals from different disciplines and specialties in the University who serve a term of four years. The number of full-time teachers who take no management responsibilities in administrative departments and the Party organisations as well as young and middle-aged teachers shall be proportionate.
The Academic Commission sets up one chairman and several vice chairmen, who shall be nominated by the President, elected and approved in the plenary session, and the chairman of the Academic Commission shall be neither the leaders of the University Party Committee nor the leading administrators of the University.
- 第三十九条 学校学术委员会就学科建设、教师聘任、教学指导、科学研究、学术道德等事项设立若干专门委员会，具体承担相关职责和学术事务。
- Article 39 The Academic Commission shall establish several specialized committees concerning the development of academic disciplines, faculty employment, teaching guidance, research, academic ethics as well as other matters. The Academic Commission shall establish grassroots academic commissions in colleges, key laboratories, research centres, and other research institutions.
- 第四十条 学校依法设立学位评定委员会。学位评定委员会依照有关法律法规履行职责，决定学校学位的授予及撤销，通过授予名誉博士学位的人员名单，审议、处理学位授予中的有关问题。学位评定委员会依据其章程开展活动。
- Article 40 The University establishes an academic degree committee. The committee shall review, approve, or cancel a degree, approve the candidate of an honorary doctorate, and examine relevant issues concerning degree awarding in accordance with laws, regulations and its own charter.
The Academic Degree Committee is headed by the President and several deputy directors. The committee members are elected from postgraduate supervisors based on the set-up of disciplines.
The University Academic Degree Committee shall establish a branch committee in terms of discipline and observe the rules of majority voting and secret ballots in making decisions.
- 第四十一条 学校可根据发展需要，按照学科相近的原则设立学部。学部是学校实施学术分类管理与教授治学的学术组织，在学校学术委员会指导下审议本学部学科规划、重点资源配置方案等重要事项，推荐本学部所涉及学科的专业技术职务拟聘人选，发挥学术评价、咨询与协调作用，促进学科间的优化组合。学部主任一般由不担任行政职务的知名教授担任。
- Article 41 The University establishes divisions based on disciplines as required by development, following the rule of classified management and professors’ academic management. Under the guidance of the Academic Commission, a division shall be an academic institution responsible for reviewing discipline plans and capital resource allocation, as well as recommending candidates for professional and technical positions. It shall play evaluative, advisory, and coordinating roles in order to optimize interdisciplinary development. The chairman of a division is on balance selected from well-known professors with no administrative posts.
Section 3 Democratic Management and Supervision
- 第四十二条 学校实行教职工代表大会制度。学校教职工代表大会是依法保障教职工参与民主管理和监督、维护教职工合法权益的基本组织形式。学校工会是教职工代表大会的工作机构，负责教职工代表大会的日常工作。学校建立健全基层单位教职工代表大会。
- Article 42 The University establishes a faculty and staff congress that ensures faculty and staff’s participation in democratic management and protects their own legal rights. The trade union is the working organisation of the Faculty Delegate Congress responsible for its routine work. The University also establishes branch faculty and staff congresses.
- The Faculty Delegate Congress performs its functions in accordance with implementation measures stipulated by the University. Its major functions are as follows:
- (1) Hearing reports on the formulation and amendment of the university charter and offering advice and suggestions;
- (2) Hearing reports on the University’s development plan, faculty and staff introduction and development, education and teaching reform, research, campus construction reform, as well as offering advice and suggestions;
- (3) Hearing reports on the University’s annual work, financial work, trade union’s work, and other specific work reports as well as offering advice and suggestions;
- (4) Discussing implementation plans for welfare, remuneration and allowance distribution as well as corresponding measures on employment, assessment, reward, and punishment suggested by the University that are directly concerned with the interests of faculty and staff;
- (5) Examining reports on the implementation of proposals in the previous session of faculty and staff congress;
- (6) Appraising the University’s leading officials in accordance with the relevant regulations and arrangements;
- (7) Offering advice and suggestions on the work of the University through multiple means, supervising the implementation of this charter, regulations, and policies;
- (8) Discussing other issues stipulated in the laws, regulations, and rules as well as those determined by the University and trade union.
- 第四十三条 学校实行学生代表大会制度。学生代表大会是学校学生进行自我教育、自我管理、自我服务，参与民主管理和监督的重要组织形式。学校支持其选举产生的学生会、研究生会依据法律和章程开展活动。
- Article 43 The University establishes a student congress, which is an important organisation for students to participate in self-management and self-service as well as the democratic management and supervision of the University in regards to education. The University allows for and supports the activities organised by the students’ union elected by the student congress in accordance with the laws and this charter.
- 第四十四条 学校设立校务委员会。校务委员会是学校咨询议事与民主协商组织，按照其章程履行职责，对学校重要事项和重大决策提出咨询意见、建议。
- Article 44 The University establishes a university council, which is the organisation for democratic consultation on the University’s work. The University Council performs its functions in accordance with this charter and offers advice on critical issues and decisions.
The University Council shall consist of a chairman, vice-chairmen, and well-known experts and representatives who serve a term of four years. The secretary of the University Party Committee shall work as the chairman.
- 第四十五条 学校各民主党派、社会团体依据法律和章程开展活动。学校落实党的统一战线和多党合作方针政策，各民主党派成员、社会团体成员和无党派人士为学校建设与发展参政议政，参与民主管理与监督。
- Article 45 The University’s democratic parties and social groups shall carry out activities in accordance with the laws and this charter. Their members and independents shall participate in the democratic management and supervision of the construction and development of the University in line with the policy of united front and multi-party cooperation.
- 第四十六条 学校设立工会委员会、共青团委员会、妇女委员会、青年联合会等群众组织。各群众组织依据法律和规章开展工作，履行职责。
- Article 46 The University establishes its Trade Union Committee, Communist Youth League Committee, Women’s Committee, and Youth League. These organisations shall carry out activities in accordance with the laws and regulations.
- 第四十七条 学校实行党务公开、校务公开和信息公开制度，办学活动和管理行为接受全校师生员工、教育行政机关和社会的监督。
- Article 47 The University adheres to transparency in party affairs, management of university affairs as well as openness to supervision from students, faculty and staff, educational authorities, and the society.
Section 4 Teaching, Research, and Public Service Institutions
- 第四十八条 学校围绕人才培养的根本任务，根据学科专业发展和科学研究需要设置教学科研机构，包括学院（含部）和具有独立建制的重点实验室、研究中心（院、所）等。学校根据办学活动和生活保障需要设置公共服务机构，包括各有关直属单位。
- Article 48 With talent cultivation as its core task, the University establishes colleges, independent key laboratories, and research institutions, as required by research and discipline development. The University establishes public service institutions including units under its direct supervision to guarantee all the teaching and living activities.
- 第四十九条 学校实行校、院二级管理体制。学院是学校教育教学、科学研究、社会服务等办学活动实施的主体，在学校授权范围内实行自主管理。其主要职责是：
- Article 49 The University establishes a dual-level administration system between university and colleges. The colleges independently exercise administration, teaching, research, and social service within the stipulated range by the University. Their main functions are：
- (1) Drawing up a five-year development plan and development plans on academic disciplines and faculty training as well as implementing them after rectification by the University;
- (2) Carrying out teaching, research, social service, exchange and cooperation home and abroad and other academic activities;
- (3) Developing disciplines and specialties and managing the basic teaching and research organisations of the departments and research institutions;
- (4) Improving faculty development, organising faculty training and recruitment, as well as implementing faculty evaluation and employment;
- (5) Managing student cultivation and education, classroom teaching and practice and promoting teaching reform;
- (6) Establishing the colleges’ inner setup and formulating internal working rules and methods according to the rules and regulations stipulated by the University and implementing staff employment and management accordingly;
- (7) Managing the expenditure of colleges’ funds, equipment, and other assets;
- (8) Fulfilling other responsibilities empowered by the University.
- 第五十条 学校根据学科发展和人才培养需要设置和调整学院及学科专业。学院的设立、变更或撤销，以及学科专业的设立、调整，经充分论证，校长办公会议拟定方案，并经学校学术委员会审议，由学校党委常务委员会研究决定。
- Article 50 The University establishes and adjusts disciplines and departments as required by discipline development and talent cultivation. The establishment, alteration, or discontinuation of disciplines and specialties shall be justified, first proposed during the President’s administrative meeting, then examined by the Academic Commission, and finally approved by the Standing Committee of the University Party Committee.
- 第五十一条 学院党委（党总支）在学校党委领导下，在本单位发挥政治核心和监督保证作用，支持本单位行政领导班子和院长在其职责范围内独立负责地开展工作。
- Article 51 The College Party Committees（the College Party Branches）are the political nuclei with supervisory and guaranteeing functions in their respective colleges under the leadership of the University Party Committee, and support the deans and the college leadership in fulfilling their duties independently and conscientiously.
- 第五十二条 院长负责本学院学科建设、教学、科学研究和其他行政事务管理。院长实行任期制。院长向学院师生员工和教职工代表大会报告工作。
- Article 52 The dean of the college shall be responsible for the development of academic disciplines, teaching, research, and administrative management. In his/her tenure, the dean shall report to faculty, staff, students, and the Faculty Delegate Congress.
- 第五十三条 学院通过党政联席会议，讨论和决定学院重要事项。
- Article 53 A joint meeting system of deans and College Party Committee members is implemented by colleges to discuss and decide on major issues.
- 第五十四条 设立在学校的重点实验室、研究中心、研究院、研究所等科研机构，承担相应的人才培养、科学研究、社会服务等任务。学校根据研究机构的性质实行分类管理、评估和考核。
- Article 54 Key laboratories, research centres, and research institutes in the University undertake the tasks of talent cultivation, research, and social services. The University exercises classified management, evaluation, and assessment accordingly.
- 第五十五条 学校直属单位主要实行行政首长负责制，党组织发挥政治核心作用，党组织书记负责本单位的党务工作并参与重大问题和重要事项决策。
- Article 55 The institutions directly under the University shall follow the chief executive responsibility system. The Party Committee branches play the role of political nucleus and the secretary of the Party Committee branch is responsible for party affairs and participates in the decision-making on major issues and important matters.
The independent legal entities affiliated with the University shall run and manage in accordance with laws, regulations and their respective charters. The University shall fulfill the duties of supervision and administration on the invested companies to guarantee the lawful rights of the personnel who have made the scientific achievements and of the University.
Chapter V University and Society
- 第五十六条 学校积极开展与政府部门、科研院所、企事业单位、社会团体等组织和机构的合作，根据社会需求与学校优势，为社会和相关行业发展提供服务，联合培养人才、进行合作研究、促进科技成果转化，争取社会各方的支持和帮助。
- Article 56 The University shall promote effective cooperation with governments, research institutes, public enterprises and institutions, and social groups. It shall serve the society and related industries while meeting the social needs and making good use of the university resources to win the support of society and industries by means of joint talent cultivation, joint research, and transformation of scientific achievements.
- 第五十七条 学校坚持独立自主、平等互利、相互尊重的原则，通过中外合作办学、科技与文化交流等，多渠道开展对外交流与合作。
- Article 57 The University shall adhere to the principle of independence, mutual benefits and respect, and have multichannel exchange and cooperation through Sino-foreign cooperative education and scientific and technical exchanges.
- 第五十八条 学校设立理事会。理事会是社会广泛参与、支持学校发展的咨询、协商、审议与监督机构，是学校实现科学决策、民主监督、社会参与的重要组织形式，旨在加强社会合作、扩大决策民主、争取社会支持、接受社会监督。
- Article 58 The University sets up an advisory, reviewing, consultative, and supervisory board for broader social support and better social participation. The University Board, as an important institution, aims at enhancing cooperation and democratic decision-making, winning social support and receiving social supervision.
The University Board is composed of delegates from the competent departments, co-developers, trades associations, local governments, institutions and enterprises, alumni, elites of the society, as well as the leaders of the University and academic institutions, and representatives of faculty, staff and students. It is headed by the director of the board and several deputy directors who shall be nominated by the University and elected in the Board’s plenary meeting. The University Board shall perform its functions in accordance with its own charter.
- 第五十九条 校友是指在学校学习或工作过的师生员工、获得过学校名誉博士学位或荣誉职衔的人士。校友是学校声誉的重要代表，是学校的宝贵资源。
- Article 59 The alumni include former students, faculty and staff, honorary doctorate degree or honorary title holders. They are the embodiment of the fame of HZAU and valuable resources.
The HZAU Alumni Association, initiated by alumni, is a lawfully established social organisation with the status of a legal person. It carries out activities in accordance with relevant regulations and its own charter and supports the setup of different alumni organisations in terms of region, trade, interest, etc.
The alumni association shall support the alumni’s personal development and social service and encourage their participation in the construction and development of the University. The University shall give credit to those who have made great contributions or accomplishments.
- 第六十条 华中农业大学教育发展基金会是学校发起、依法成立的社会团体法人。基金会依据国家有关规定和章程开展活动，吸纳捐赠，管理捐赠项目和资金，促进学校教育事业发展。
- Article 60 The HZAU Education Development Foundation, initiated by the University, is a lawfully established social organisation with the status of a legal person. It is responsible for raising donations, managing donated projects and funds, and carrying out other activities in accordance with relevant regulations and its own charter to further the educational development of the University.
Chapter VI Funds，Properties, and Logistics
- 第六十一条 学校资产属于国有资产，表现形式为固定资产、流动资产、无形资产、在建工程和对外投资等。学校依法依规对占有的资产进行自主管理和使用，依法保护并使用校名、学校标识及享有的知识产权等无形资产。
- Article 61 The University’s assets are state-owned, including fixed assets, current assets, intangible assets, projects under construction, and outbound investment. The University exercises independent management of possessed assets and legally protects and utilizes the University’s name and identity, intellectual property, and other intangible property in accordance with the laws and regulations.
- 第六十二条 学校实行“统一领导、归口管理、分级负责、责任到人”的国有资产管理机制。建立健全资产管理制度，合理配置资源，提高资产使用效益。
- Article 62 The University exercises the management system of state-owned assets characterized by “unified leadership and a level-to-level and clear individual responsibility”. The University establishes a sound asset management system to rationalize resource allocation and to improve the efficiency of resource use.
- 第六十三条 学校资产配置以学校制定的事业发展规划、专项规划和年度工作计划为主要依据，坚持财政平衡的可持续发展理念。
- Article 63 The asset allocation of the University shall adhere to the principle of fiscal balance and sustainable development based on a five-year development plan, specialized plans, and an annual plan formulated by the University.
- 第六十四条 学校经费以国家投入为主，多渠道筹措经费为辅，受教育者合理分担培养成本。学校积极拓展办学经费来源渠道，鼓励和支持校内各单位筹措事业发展资金。
- Article 64 The University is mainly financed by the Central Government, and partly by donations and other sources. Students pay a reasonable amount of tuition. The University actively raises educational funds through multiple channels, supporting and encouraging its inner organisations and colleges to finance for development.
- 第六十五条 学校实行“统一领导、集中管理”的财务管理体制。建立健全财务预决算制度、经济责任制度和审计监督制度，杜绝铺张浪费，提高使用效率，保证资金运行安全。
- Article 65 The University establishes a collective financial management system under unified leadership. It sets up sound systems of financial pre-final accounts, financial responsibility, auditing, and monitoring. It practices economy in school administration and strives for higher capital efficiency and security.
- 第六十六条 学校建立健全图书馆、校史馆、博物馆、体育馆、艺术馆和校园网络、后勤服务、后勤管理等公共服务与支撑体系，提高管理水平与服务质量，为学生和教职工的学习、工作和生活提供保障。
- Article 66 The University establishes public service facilities such as a library, the University’s history gallery, a museum, a gymnasium, a gallery, and a campus network centre, and improves its management and logistics service centre in order to guarantee the study, work, and life of faculty, staff, and students.
- 第六十七条 学校严格保护校园环境，建设平安校园、生态校园、书香校园、文明校园、和谐校园，努力建成自然风景优美、基础设施优良、文化底蕴厚重、学术氛围浓厚、人与自然和谐的美丽华农。
- Article 67 The University protects its beautiful campus featuring harmony between man and nature, and endeavors to build a safe, civilized, ecologically-healthy and spiritually-enriching campus with natural views, good facilities, rich academic atmosphere and profound culture.
Chapter VII University Identity
- 第六十八条 学校校训为：勤读力耕，立己达人。
- Article 68 The University motto is, “learn and practice, achieve and help achieve.”
- 第六十九条 学校校徽包括徽志和徽章。徽志采用圆形造型，主体部分以楚国“编钟”和传统农具“耒耜”为基础，图案由大写字母HAU变形组合而成，下方为建校年份“1898”，外环为学校中英文校名。徽章为题有学校横式中文校名的长方形证章。教职工用徽章底色为深红色，字体为白色；本科生用徽章底色为白色，字体为大红色；研究生用徽章底色为橘红色、字体为白色。
- Article 69 The University logo is a round circle with the image of a chime from the Chu State and a tilling tool in the centre formed from the letters “HZAU” (Huazhong Agricultural University). “1898” in the logo indicates the founding year of the University. On the outer edge are the Chinese and English names of the University. The University badge is a rectangle engraved with the University’s name in Chinese. It is crimson with white characters for faculty and staff, white with scarlet characters for graduates, and orange with white characters for postgraduates.
- 第七十条 学校校旗为学校标准色彩长方形旗帜，中央印有横式中英文校名。
- Article 70 The University flag is rectangular in shape and standard in colors with the University’s name in both Chinese and English in the centre.
- 第七十一条 学校校歌为学校前身之一原湖北省立农学院1946年创作的院歌。校歌歌词为：挹江流浩浩荡荡，挟沃野郁郁苍苍。萃俊秀于三楚，聚硕彦于一堂。勤读力耕肩重任，立己达人图自强。雍雍穆穆，跻跻跄跄。宏农学，扬国光，日新永无疆。
- Article 71 The University song is “Song of Huazhong Agricultural University”. It was composed in 1946 for the University previously known as “Hubei Agricultural College”.
- 第七十二条 学校校庆日暨校友日为：10月2日。
- Article 72 The University Day and Alumni Day is October 2nd.
第八章 附 则
Chapter VIII Supplementary Articles
- 第七十三条 本章程制定和修订须经学校教职工代表大会讨论，校长办公会审议，学校党委全体会议审定，由校长签发，报国务院教育行政部门核准。
- Article 73 The formulation and amendment of this charter is to be submitted to the Faculty Delegate Congress for discussion, to be examined by the President’s administrative meeting, and to be judged by University Party Committee plenary meeting, issued by the President, and ultimately submitted to the educational and administrative departments of the State Council for approval.
- 第七十四条 本章程是学校依法自主办学、实施管理和履行公共职能的基本准则。学校须以本章程为依据，制定内部管理制度及规范性文件、实施办学和管理活动、开展社会合作。
- Article 74 This charter offers the basic guidelines for the University’s autonomy in operation, management and fulfillment of public functions. The University shall formulate internal management regulations, run the University, and carry out social cooperation based on this charter.
- 第七十五条 本章程由学校党委常务委员会负责解释。
- Article 75 The Standing Committee of the University Party Committee reserves the right of interpretation for this charter.
- 第七十六条 本章程经核准自发布之日起施行。
- Article 76 This charter shall go into effect as of the date of approval.